[R] fill binary matrices with random 1s

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:24:47 CET 2011

I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what your question is. How to
put a 1 in a random position in a matrix?

mat <- matrix(0, 10, 10)
 mat[sample(1:nrow(mat), 1), sample(1:ncol(mat), 1)] <- 1
will do so, but if you need to fill a random position that is *currently zero*
then you'll need to wrap it in a while loop and check the value of that cell.

Or, more elegantly, create a random vector of positions in advance,
then fill each:
tofill <- sample(1:100)
for(i in 1:length(tofill)) {
mat[tofill[i]] <- 1
}

But if you don't need sequential matrices, just random matrices of
particular densities, there are nicer ways to create them.

matdensity <- 45
matsize <- 10
mat45 <- matrix(sample(c(rep(1, matdensity), rep(0, matsize*2 -
matdensity))), matsize, matsize)

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org