[R] Weird Excel Time Format

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Nov 29 19:26:12 CET 2011

You haven't indicated how you are accessing the Excel file, or whether it is an XLS or XLSX file. It sounds like you might be using rcom or a dependent package, in which case you may need to read the Excel COM interface documentation more carefully. In any event, you can't expect as.Date to understand the floating-point numbers as if they were formatted dates it they aren't.
For my part, I highly recommend exporting to CSV before importing to R.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing