[R] Best method to add unit information to dataframe ?

Mon Oct 3 18:43:51 CEST 2011

Hi,

If you want to take advantage of Josh's example below (using an S4
subclass of data.frame), perhaps you might be interested in taking
advantage of the multitude of useful objects/classes defined in the
bioconductor IRanges package:

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/IRanges.html

It has no other bioconductor dependencies, so it's a "slim" install,
in that respect. It defines a DataFrame class which keeps "metadata"
around with as you subset/index/etc. it, eg:

R> library(IRanges)
R> DF <- DataFrame(a=1:10, b=letters[1:10])
R> metadata(DF) <- list(units=list(a=NA, b='inches'))

R> sub.1 <- subset(DF, a %% 2 == 0)
R> sub.1
DataFrame with 5 rows and 2 columns
          a           b
  <integer> <character>
1         2           b
2         4           d
3         6           f
4         8           h
5        10           j

R> metadata(sub.1)
$units
$units$a
[1] NA

$units$b
[1] "inches"

(although I noticed that transform,DataFrame isn't defined actually ...)

Anyway, HTH.

-steve