[R] How to subset() from data frame using specific rows

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Oct 5 15:54:52 CEST 2011

Hi

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Petr PIKAL wrote:
>
> > Hm. I seldom use such approach. In your original request you said you
want
> > split your data to smaller data frames based on sites
>
> Petr,
>
>    I need the additional information in the database, too.

But you do not loose them, your data frame is cut according to sites
variable and put into a list

see

> iris.spl<- split(iris, iris$Species)
> str(iris.spl)
List of 3
 $ setosa    :'data.frame':     50 obs. of  5 variables:
  ..$ Sepal.Length: num [1:50] 5.1 4.9 4.7 4.6 5 5.4 4.6 5 4.4 4.9 ...
  ..$ Sepal.Width : num [1:50] 3.5 3 3.2 3.1 3.6 3.9 3.4 3.4 2.9 3.1 ...

> > From what we know it is difficult to say if there is some common
feature
> > in site variable. If it is organised like
> > XY-N
> > you can simply make new variable from first two letters
>
>    Unfortunately, the site designations are not so uniform. As I went
through
> the process of re-doing the data I discovered this lack of consistency
> resulting in duplicate records because one site had been designated XX-n
and
> XXn. Had to clean those up, too.
>
> > sites <- substr(chemdata$site,1,2)

Which would not matter if the first two letters designates required
grouping variable I called sites

Regards
Petr