[R] error messages

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:04:30 CEST 2011

Joyce Flynt <dr.joyceflynt <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Im doing a project using Rcommander. I have a dataset with 5 variables,
> BMI being one of them. I would like to
> find the variance, standard deviation, range, median, etc of BMI.
> However, everytime I type a command
> into the script window, (such as var(BMI$BMI,na.rm=TRUE) )
> an error message pops up saying Object "BMI"
> not found. I can graph it, work it, do t-test, etc,.
>  It's listed as one of the variables in the data set.
>  So I don't understand why it cant find BMI. Thanks

 It's hard to solve without a *reproducible* example.
Is your data set really called 'BMI'?  (i.e. should you
be saying BMI$BMI, or just BMI (if your data frame is
attached), or mydata$BMI? If your data set *is* called
BMI, does it make a difference if you rename it to e.g. BMIdat?

  What are the results of

ls()

?