[R] Urgent help needed for honours project - breaks between races in one year

Jana.K borjana.kragic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:18:01 CEST 2011

Hi to anyone who is willing to help,

I have a csv. file which has 1999 horses as the rows and the age(in years)
of the horse at each race as columns. Ive read this file into R and called
it 'horses'.
Im trying to find the longest break between each race in the horse's first
year of racing. I already have a numeric called 'age.first' which is the age
at which each horse had its first race. I understand if i want to look at
the breaks a year from the first race i have to add +1. But i am not sure
how to write the code into R. Can anyone help me get the longest break in
the first year of racing for each horse?

Jana.