[R] reporting multiple objects out of a function

andrewH ahoerner at rprogress.org
Fri Oct 7 08:28:55 CEST 2011

Thanks, Gabor!

When a beginner (like myself) asks a question, it seems that the thing that
we believe we are confused about, or want to learn, may not be the thing
that would actually help us the most if it were clearly understood.  Your
response is what I consider ideal: Answer my question, then tell me the
answer to the question that I would ask if I were smart enough.

I had dismissed the idea of env<- on grounds that I did not know what I
might be overwriting. The env$x<- trick is a very nice one that I had not
considered because I have so little understanding of what an environment is.
I is descibed in the "environment" documentation as "a collection of named
objects, and a pointer to an enclosing environment," which is fairly opaque
by he standard of R documentation. R has lots of different kinds of boxes in
which to collect objects.

If you have a favorite introduction to how R environments work and/or best
practice in programming with them, I'd be pleased to read it.

Again, many thanks. and on to classes.

Warmly, andrewH