[R] function - access column

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 18:07:41 CEST 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Ana wrote:

> Thanks! It helps. I completely forgot about the colnames function
>
> I added a "which(colnames(m)==n)" to my own function and now I can
> access with no problem the column by the number instead of the name.

'which' returns a logical vector. You could have also used the grep
expression with value=F (the default) since the '[ , ]' operation can
also use numeric arguments. The fundamental error was in trying to use
the "$" operator.

--
David.

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM, R. Michael Weylandt
> <michael.weylandt at gmail.com> <michael.weylandt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps something like this:
>>
>> Test <- function(m){
>>     m <- if(is.character(m)) get(m) else m
>>     stopifnot(length(colnames(m))>0)
>>     n = colnames(m)
>>     # Process n however
>>     2* m[, n]
>> }
>>
>> That make sense?
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>> Michael
>>

>> On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Ana <rrasterr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can I call matrix$col, inside a function?
>>> The matrix name is one of the variables of the function, while the
>>> column name I get by assuming that it should have a certain
>>> characters.
>>>
>>> something like this
>>>
>>> function(matrix){
>>> colname=as.name(grep("[A-T a-t]ting",colnames(matrix),value=TRUE))
>>> output=2*(matrix$colname)