[R] Find a particular point on a curve

Joanie r4inbow_ at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:54:54 CEST 2011

Hi,
my question is really precise.

I'm interested in drops of stomacal temperature (of seal pups) following
milk ingestion. Temperature starts at an average of 37.8oC (sd=0.2) and
drops rapidly to around 36.0oC and then stabilizes slowly to a temperature
silimar to the previous one. It looks a bit like an inverse skewed bell
curve.

I want to find different points on that curve, and I have a hard time trying
to code one of them.

I want to determine the point after ingestion (after the temperature drop)
where the temperatures reaches stability, i.e. where temperature is stable
to plus or minus 1 sd for a period of 10 minutes or more. I have data almost
every second and I calculated that a 10 minutes period corresponded to an
average of 400 lines.

Also, I want to determine the area under the curve, i.e. the area enclosed
by the inverse skewed curve (which I don't know the equation).

Thanks,

Joanie