[R] Benchmarking package, dea.plot.transform

John P. Burkett burkett at uri.edu
Sun Oct 9 00:18:17 CEST 2011

The Benchmarking package is generally working well for me but one of its
functions, dea.plot.transform, produces results that look odd to me.

Under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, I am running R version 2.13.2 and Benchmarking
version 0.20 ($Revision: 118 $). In that environment, I tried executing
the following code:
y1 = c(0, 2, 6, 8)
y2 = c(7, 4, 5, 0)
library(Benchmarking)
dea.plot.transform(y1, y2)

My expectation was that the code would produce a continuous,
piecewise-linear transformation curve (production possibility frontier)
passing through the points (0, 7), (6, 5), and (8, 0).  Instead, it
produced a horizontal line segment from (0, 7) to  (6, 7) and a separate
line segment from (6, 5) to (8, 0).  The discontinuity appears to me to
be a mistake.

If anyone could help me understand why my code is not producing the
expected transformation curve and how to correct the problem, I would be
most grateful.

Best regards,
John

--