[R] Type of Graph to use

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:31:47 CEST 2011

try this version:

x <- read.table(textConnection("Name    Class
a             Class1
a             Class4
b             Class2
b             Class1
d             Class3
d             Class5
e             Class4
e             Class2"), header = TRUE)
closeAllConnections()
# add columns of numeric values of factors
x$name <- as.integer(x$Name)
x$class <- as.integer(x$Class)
# create plot area
plot(0
    , type = 'n'
    , xaxt = 'n'
    , yaxt = 'n'
    , xlab = ''
    , ylab = ''
    , xlim = c(0, max(x$class))
    , ylim = c(0, max(x$name))
    )
# now plot the rectangles
# rect(
      # xleft = x$class - 1
    # , ybottom = x$name - 1
    # , xright = x$class
    # , ytop = x$name
    # , col = x$name
    # )
# plot "*" instead
points(x$class - .5, x$name - .5, pch = "*", cex = 3)
# add the labels
axis(1
    , at = seq(0.5, by = 1, length = length(levels(x$Class)))
    , labels = levels(x$Class)
    )
axis(2
    , at = seq(0.5, by = 1, length = length(levels(x$Name)))
    , labels = levels(x$Name)
    )

--
Jim Holtman