[R] New package announcement: R2STATS, a GUI for fitting GLM and GLMM

Yvonnick Noel yvonnick.noel at uhb.fr
Tue Oct 11 18:37:17 CEST 2011

Dear R-users,

I wanted to inform you that a new package called R2STATS is available,
as a graphical front-end for the glm() and glmer() functions.

The GUI is based on the RGTk2 and gWidgets packages by Michael Lawrence
and John Verzani, and so requires that the GTK+ library be installed
first on your system. This is done "automagically" when installing the
RGtk2 package (or the script mentioned below). It also use the
RGtk2Extras by Tom Taverner, to provide editable grids for data frames.

This GUI is intended to provide an easy way to fit and compare GLM and
GLMM models. The GLMM part is based on Douglas Bates' lme4 package and
the glmer() function. Automatic plots are also drawn for every model,
and you can switch from one plot to the other by just clicking on the
model name. I found this feature quite useful when teaching: It helps
students to get an immediate understanding of differences between models.

Note that this GUI is left (deliberately) simple and is not intended to
provide a full-featured GUI (please consider using Rcmdr instead for a
far more advanced GUI). But it tries to do well the one and only thing
it was designed to do: Fitting and comparing models. Note that most
standard statistical tests may well be presented as a simple comparison
between GLMs and this is the way I go with my students here. This allows
an integrated presentation for almost all common (and simple) situations
in social sciences.

More information is available on my webpage :
http://yvonnick.noel.free.fr/r2stats [in French for the moment, although
the package is in English].

Installing the package is done from a temporary repository:

install.packages("R2STATS",repos="http://yvonnick.noel.free.fr/cran",dep=TRUE)

if you already have a recent version of GTK+ and RGtk2 installed, or by:

source("http://yvonnick.noel.free.fr/r2stats/installwin.R")

for an automatic script that download and install everything. I will
submit it to CRAN as soon as I have fixed some minor issues with R-devel
(but the package works flawlessly with the current R-2.13.2).

Any comment welcome. Also, if you are willing to contribute a
translation into your language, please let me know.

Best,

Yvonnick Noel, PhD.
University of Brittany
Rennes, France