[R] get("a[1]") : object 'a[1]' not found

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:42:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Timothy Bates
<timothy.c.bates at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the help for get(), the following example is given:
>
> a <- 1:4
> assign("a[1]", 2)
> a[1] == 2          #FALSE
> get("a[1]") == 2   #TRUE
>
> However, executing that last line for me gives
>
> Error in get("a[1]") : object 'a[1]' not found

That's actually in the help for assign().

But anyway, help files are checked before distribution, so something is
likely odd about your session.

Is this in an empty session? OS, version, etc? sessionInfo() at the very least.
What does ls() look like?
Did you get any other warnings or errors?

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org