[R] heritability estimation

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 18:29:31 CEST 2011

On Oct 14, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Moohbear wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a method to estimate narrow sense heritability of
> traits in
> a RIL population.

I admit to not knowing that TLA.

> Papers I've checked either use either SAS or SPSS or do
> not give any details at all. I've found some reference to using
> variance
> components in ANOVA, using the kinship or wgaim packages, but I
> don't have a
> clue as to how to do any of this.
> Is there any way fro a very R illiterate user to do it?

(I will also admit to at first reading that as "illegitimate".
Apologies.)

To become less illiterate (and also less "illegitimate" in the r-help
context) you should consider first using one of the many search
facilities. For instance, at an r-console session, try this:

install.packages("sos")
require(sos)
findFn("heritability")
# found 60 matches;  retrieving 3 pages
2 3

I don't have the knowledge or experience to pick through all those
candidates ... but you presumably do.