[R] help to ... import the data from Excel

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:58:08 CEST 2011

(Sorry if I'm repeating things: working blind b/c of the
nabble->listserv interface)

Since you haven't actually told us what package you are using, I'm
guessing that your problem seems to be the same as the one discussed
here: http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/ReadWrite-xls-problem-td3078348.html

If that's true (i.e, if you are using the xlsReadWrite package) which
is where this 11 vs 10 arguments thing tends to show up, then you need
to run this set of commands verbatim once (and only once on each
machine unless you reinstall R / the package) before trying to read an
xls file

library(xlsReadWrite)
xls.getshlib()

Note that this is different than picking a CRAN mirror (I'm not sure
how shlibs came up in that process....)

This should fix the error message.

By the way, you also haven't told us what version of R you are
running: I, for one, can't get xlsReadWrite on R2.13.1 from CRAN so
there may be something else at work here.

As David points out, there are also other useful R/xls interface
packages that seem to be a little less trouble.

Michael