[R] Which function to use: grep, replace, substr etc.?

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Sun Oct 16 18:58:46 CEST 2011

Hi,

thanks for the tip! I do it as follows now but I still have a problem I do
not understand:

abbrvs <- data.frame(c("peter", "name", "male", "female"),
		 	      c("P", "N", "m", "f"))

colnames(abbrvs) <- c("pattern", "replacement")

str <- "My name is peter and I am male"

for(m in 1:nrow(abbrvs)) {
		str <- sub(abbrvs$pattern[m], abbrvs$replacement[m], str, fixed=TRUE)
		print(str)
	}

This works perfectly fine as I get: "My N is P and I am m"

However, when I replace male by female then I get the following:  "My N is P
and I am fem"

but I want to have "My N is P and I am f".

Even with the parameter fixed=true I get the same result. Why is that?