[R] Editor for RD file?

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:09:06 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11-10-16 8:57 AM, Bogaso Christofer wrote:
>>
>> Dear all, can somebody please update me on what could be the best editor
>> write and edit the RD files? I need to something with syntax highlighter,
>> auto-completion etc (like Notepad++ for R etc.). Currently I am using
>> plain
>> Notepad however expect something which could be more professional.
>
> I believe ESS does syntax highlighting for Rd files if you use Emacs.

Yes, it does.  It is also nice because it runs R, so if I am writing
examples in the Rd files, I can run them directly.  Here is the little
blurb regarding the major mode for Rd files:

(Rd-mode)

Major mode for editing R documentation source files.

This mode makes it easier to write R documentation by helping with
indentation, doing some of the typing for you (with Abbrev mode) and by
showing keywords, strings, etc. in different faces (with Font Lock mode
on terminals that support it).

Cheers,

Josh