[R] Beginner's question about plotting variables in a time series object with the date on the x axis

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 00:38:44 CEST 2011

I'm not a huge fan of using R's ts class directly, much preferring to
use zoo or xts (both of which are packages) to enhance. That said, I
think your problem comes from identifying the data/variable name
incorrectly. You've only "ts"ed dados, but you try to plot divliq.pib;
try

plot(dados[,"divliq.pib"])

instead. To get the names functionality, add the optional argument
names= to the ts() call.

If you go to xts, the following should work just fine for you:

library(xts)
dados<-read.csv("dadosR3.csv", header=T)
dados<-xts(dados[,-1], as.Date(dados[,1])) # Assuming your date was in
the left hand column

Now dados will have its names inherited from the header of the CSV and
you can plot them directly as

plot(dados[,"divliq.pib"])

Hope this helps,

Michael Weylandt