[R] Cairo creates italized plots?

Fong Chun Chan fongchunchan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:33:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

Has anyone else run into this weird behaviour where the text in the plots
created using Cairo are always italicized.  For example,

library(Cairo)
Cairo(file='cairo_created', type='pdf', dpi=100)
 plot(1:10)
dev.off()

This produces the following attached 'cairo_created.pdf' graph.  Notice how
the text is italicized.  The same code but using pdf() as the graphics
device:

pdf(file='pdf_created.pdf')
plot(1:10)
dev.off()

Produces the attached 'pdf_created.pdf' graph in which the text is
non-italicized.  I am unable to find out what the difference is here and set
the Cairo() function to produce non-italicized text in my graphs.  Both
graphic devices appear to default to Helvetica.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fong
<fongchun at interchange.ubc.ca>