[R] xyplot() or splom()?: two factors from same data frame

Duncan Mackay mackay at northnet.com.au
Fri Oct 21 03:06:48 CEST 2011

Hi Rich

Without  a dataset I am not sure what you need.

Further down the track you will need to plot what you finally need
and this may help you decide what you need now

for finals try

library(lattice)
library(latticeExtra)

useOuterStrips(
xyplot(variable1 + variable2 ~ Date|Site, data = Data, groups = Groups, ...)
)

this will give you a matrix plot of the columns being the site and
the rows being the variables.

but for now if you have a large screen you can do a splom by sites
you may to subset sites.
use par.settings and levelplot settings to reduce the fontsizes etc
so that you can get as much information

splom( ...|Site, data= Data,...)

if you want to have 2 plots eg  the x axis as time and another
independent variable
you can plot them on the page together

eg

plot1 <- xyplot(....)
plot2 <- density.plot(...)

print(p1, position= c(0,0,1,0.5), more = T)
print(p1, position= c(0,0.5,1,1), more = F)

see ?print.trellis

As usual everything depends on the data

HTH

Duncan