[R] cph/nomogram Design/RMS package hazard ratio: interquartile vs per unit

renee park_renee at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 02:22:32 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am constructing a nomogram using cph and nomogram commands in Dr.
Harrell's Design/RMS package. The HR that I obtain for dichotomous and
categorical variables are identical to those that I obtain using STATA
stcox. However, the inter-quartile HR I obtain for continuous variables is
obviously different, since STATA gives me HR for each unit (year,
centimeter, etc) like coxph would give. My question is if this will effect
the output of the nomogram. I'm assuming that nomogram is constructed using
hazard between each unit rather than quartiles - is this true?

Also, I've found that I do not need to create indicator variables for my
categorical variables when I use cph. Is this also correct?

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

~Renee