[R] windows limits

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:56:15 CEST 2011

On 21/10/2011 9:36 AM, Ben qant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using the rgl package, I can set the device window to any dimension (that I
> have tested):
> par3d(windowRect=c(1,1,700,700))
>
> With windows I can't get the window to span from the top to the bottom of
> the monitor. In the following, no matter how large the ypinch value gets it
> stops, leaving about 2 inches of space at the bottom of my screen:
> windows(record=TRUE, ypinch=1100, xpinch=10, xpos=1,ypos=1, rescale='fixed')

This doesn't affect your question, but you shouldn't be using xpinch and
ypinch for this:  they describe the "pixels per inch".  You should be
using width and height.

The real problem is that you aren't allowed to open windows that are
more than 85% of the available size in either direction.  This is
documented in ?windows.  I don't know the reason for this restriction,
but it may be so that you can't inadvertantly lose the controls on the
window (something that happens in rgl in your example code).

You can manually resize the window after creating it (using the mouse);
you could write a function to do that if you know Windows API
programming, but I don't believe there's one in base R.

Duncan Murdoch