[R] Problem with svyvar in survey package

amitava amtv.statpresi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:21:55 CEST 2011

I am facing a problem with a function in survey package. The function svyvar
gives the estimated population variance from a given sampling scheme.  I am
working with a data having more than four continuous variables. In order to
have have population total for all those cont. variables I have written in
the following format

svyvar(~var1+var2+var3+var4+var5+var6,data) ; var1,var2,...,var6 are 6 cont.
variables

Now the problem is that,this function works properly when the number of
cont. variables are less than or equal to three. But when the number of
variables goes beyond three it gives a wrong answer,where we have two
estimates for the 1st variable (here it is var1),and one of the variable is
dropped,and also estimates differs. Sometimes it comes out to be a negative
quantity.

Please tell me why these problems are happening.