[R] how can I install the latest version of r in linux?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Oct 25 13:39:23 CEST 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 12:38 AM, Jie TANG wrote:

> [...]

If you want to compile from source, you should review the R Installation and Administration manual:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html

You appear to be missing required header files (.H files) for readline, which are typically available in a readline-devel-* RPM. This is covered in the manual.

The additional errors when you attempt to install the RPM indicate you are missing other dependencies as well, not to mention you are attempting to install an out of date version of R.

If you want to install from a precompiled RPM and you are running RHEL, you should use the 'yum' package manager, which makes it easy to install RPMs and satisfy dependencies. For RHEL, R is available via the EPEL (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL) and more information is available there relative to configuring your system to use the EPEL. Once you have done so, you can install R using:

  yum install R

as root.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz