[R] Building package/DESCRIPTION file not existing?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Oct 26 10:37:30 CEST 2011

    > Hello useRs

    > I am trying to build a package for personal use and for
    > making easier working with other people but I keep getting
    > the same error message about the DESCRIPTION file not
    > existing.

    > when trying to install from a source tar.gz file:

    > Error in .read_description(dfile) : file
    > 'C:/Users/Propriétaire/AppData/Local/Temp/RtmpHFMONb/R.INSTALL647a3535/mypkg/DESCRIPTION'
    > does not exist

    > when trying to build a binary version:

    > Error in .read_description(dfile) : file
    > 'C:/Users/Propriétaire/Documents/RETROBIRD/mypkg/DESCRIPTION'
    > does not exist

    > In this last case, the DESCRIPTION file is certainly
    > there! Also, help and DESCRIPTION files are edited and my
    > path variable seems to be set correctly as I can access R
    > and tex (form miktex 2.9) from the console. I feel it
    > might be related to language issues (windows on my system
    > is in french, see sessionInfo() at bottom of message) or
    > something about temporary directories, but I really can't
    > find the problem. I've looked into the cygwin warning, but
    > it didn't seemed to be the problem, though I may be wrong.

Yes, I'm almost sure it's the "language issues".

I've recently taught a course on  R Package building
and on Windows, the user had problems because of an  'ä'
(a-Umlaut) in one of the directories in her 'path'.

So if you work from another place than
'C:/Users/Propriétaire/'  this may solve the main problem.

Bonnes salutations,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    > Any hints? Below is the complete sequence with errors.

    > Thanks, Francois Rousseu