[R] lock a package to specific R version

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 11:12:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 25.10.2011 11:42, Mehmet Suzen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if it is possible to lock a package to a specific
>> version of R. Dependency attribute in the package DESCRIPTION
>> only accepts>= AFAIU
>> (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#fn-3 )
>>
>> Any work around?
>
> Intervals are possible., and you can restrict them to one version as follows:
>
> Depends: R (>= 2.13.2), R (<= 2.13.2)

Or even use ==

The point of the footnote is that install.packages() will download a
package only checking any >= requirements (and I suspect it will then
install a binary version of a package).  R CMD INSTALL will not
install it from the sources, and library() will not load it.

I don't see why you would want to do this: why would a package work
with 2.13.1 and not 2.13.2, or 2.13.2 and not 2.14.0?  Ranges may make
sense.