[R] strucchange Nyblom-Hansen Test?

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Oct 26 12:31:41 CEST 2011

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, buehlerman wrote:

> Thank you, things seem to be clearer :-)

Great.

>> Hansen extended this to the linear regression model and proposed to either
>> compute one test statistic per parameter (which you can do with the "parm"
>> argument of gefp) or a joint statistic for all parameters. Hansen included
>> in "all" parameters also the variance,
>
> The "parm" argument of gefp is a nice feature, but what is about the
> significance level in test statistic compuation (sctest)? Is there multiple
> testing correction applied or should I rather use for this case the double
> max statistic as recommended below?

By applying the functional in sctest(), you implicitly correct for the
number of parameters tested. Thus, you don't need to apply another
correction for multiple testing. (The only caveat with the p-values from
sctest() is that these are always asymptotic p-values and may not be exact
in finite samples. And for many functionals these have been determined by
simulation.)

This is discussed in a little bit more detail in

      Zeileis A. (2006), Implementing a Class of Structural Change
      Tests: An Econometric Computing Approach. _Computational
      Statistics & Data Analysis_, *50*, 2987-3008.
      doi:10.1016/j.csda.2005.07.001.

The comment quoted below pertains to the fact that Hansen (1992) suggested
to compute one p-value for each individual parameter as well as another
p-value for all parameters jointly. In such a situation, you would have to
apply some multiple testing procedure. The meanL2BB functional in
strucchange only computes the joint p-value.

hth,