[R] help with ggplot backgrounds

RanRL rnrlrn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 00:03:12 CEST 2011

Hi, I have two questions regarding plotting of this dataset:

Product Color    StoreA StoreB StoreC   Price

A          Red      4          2        3        78
            Blue      5          2        2       78
           Greem    4         3         2       80

B          Red       3     ................

And so on (Not all products have same colors).

I made 2 plots: one is a scatter where x=Price and y=Values (of different
stores). The different stores are facet_wrapped, and Color is indicated by
point color while Product by point_shape.
Second plot is a polar plot of geom_bars with position="dodge" for all
Products to differentiate the colors. The y value is the value for each
store (Price is not represented).

My questions:
1. for the first plot, I want to make a background area split into 3, top
right is red (indicating high-price/high-values), middle is yellow, the rest
is green (these are kind of reverse-log areas, like in heat maps).

2. for the second plot, the red-yellow green are just background geom_rects
filled in, but I cant figure out how to specify the xmin and xmax for this
(since they are discrete variables).

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.