[R] new R debugging tool

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Mon Oct 31 04:41:35 CET 2011

Rainer wrote:

*  On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Norm Matloff
*  <matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu>wrote:
*
*  >
*  > I've developed a new R debugging tool, debugR, available at
*  > http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/debugR.html
*  >
*  > This basically replaces my edtdbg, which I will no longer be
*  > supporting.
*  > The new tool is now decoupled from one's text editor, and has a lot
*  > more
*  > features than edtdbg did.
*  >
*
*  Sounds interesting. Do I have to write a script file for debugging, or
*  is
*  there an option to run it from within R to debug a function instead of a
*  script?
*
*  Rainer

One does indeed basically debug at the function level (or set of
functions), as desired.  The user specifies on the command line a file
in which those functions reside.  (In time, I can broaden this.)

The best way to see the operation is to try the Quick Start.  It really
IS quick!  Just go to http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/debugR.html where
I've now included the Quick Start.

I hope to write up a longer example for Tal's e-newsletter.

Norm