[R] Removing special chars in strings?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Sep 1 04:38:58 CEST 2011

Did you start with help("character")?  Aside from the \a they are
the traditional C ones (e.g., Kernighan and Richie, 1978, p 181).

 \a   alert (bell)
 \b   backspace
 \t   tab
 \n   newline
 \v   vertical space
 \f   formfeed
 \r   carriage return (without newline)
 \'   single quote
 \"   double quote

print() shows the backslashed version (except for \', which is not
required) and cat() causes the user interface to display their
"meaning".  Not all user interfaces support all of them.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com