[R] Question about BIC of two different regression models? how should we compare two regression models?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 17:26:06 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Patrick Breheny wrote:

> On 09/02/2011 08:48 AM, John Sorkin wrote:
>> I believe when using BIC one needs to compare nested models
>
> This is wrong.  Hypothesis tests rely on nested models; information criteria
> do not.

Actually, this is off-topic on this list. But blanket statements are
often themselves untrue: there are hypothesis tests of non-nested
models (most famously due to Cox, 1961), and Akaike explicitly
considered only nested models in his paper introducing AIC.
Certainly criteria such as AIC and BIC (in the sense of Schwarz: there
are several criteria of that name) can be used with non-nested models
but are much sharper tools for nested models.