[R] Hysteresis modeling and simulation

Yvonnick Noel yvonnick.noel at uhb.fr
Mon Sep 5 09:25:32 CEST 2011

Hi Bill,

I once modelled a hysteresis phenomenon (on binary data) with a simple
logistic model. I am not sure I understand how this pattern appears in
your data, but in my previous analyses, it appeared as an order effect:
The response increased in probability later with increasing than with
decreasing values of the predictor.

I then simply created a binary variable for the decreasing and
increasing conditions, and the coefficient on this variable was a direct
and testable measure of hysteresis.

In some cases, you can directly model the bimodal conditional
distribution of the response. This is what I did here with a beta
distribution for continuous bounded responses:

http://webcolleges.uva.nl/mediasite/Viewer/?peid=c7a7b041327f4db09dc2fc3a7872aa5a1d

HTH,

Best,

Yvonnick Noel