[R] mclust: modelName="E" vs modelName="V"

Nico902 descostes at ciml.univ-mrs.fr
Tue Sep 6 17:16:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I effectively was able to get rid of this
message by doing:

> resClust <-
> Mclust(data,G=3,modelName="V",prior=priorControl(scale=c(1.44,0.81,0.49)));

However, I would like to be able to retrieve the variances I defined in the
result. I found:

> resClust$parameters
$Vinv
NULL

$pro
[1] 0.5502496 0.1986852 0.2510652

$mean
            1             2             3
-2.8390006980 -0.0003267873  3.1072574619

$variance
$variance$modelName
[1] "V"

$variance$d
[1] 1

$variance$G
[1] 3

$variance$sigmasq
[1] 0.840267666 0.009466821 1.510263146

$variance$scale
[1] 0.840267666 0.009466821 1.510263146

I do not manage to get where the sigmasq is coming from. I tried to sqrt or
square the sigmasq but it does not correspond to what I defined. I found
nothing in the manual. If I am missing something obvious or if somebody has
the solution it will help me a lot. I want to retrieve those values
automatically to plot the different curves of the fitting and to be sure
this is doing what I want.

Thank you very much again.