[R] Weights using Survreg

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Sep 6 21:34:25 CEST 2011

I agree with David that poisson regression would be the simplest thing.
It's a consequence of the poison formulation and an exponential "trick"
  E(#breaks) = breaks per meter * length in meters
             = exp(Xb) * exp(log(length))
             = exp(Xb + log(length))

X = covariates that affect "breaks per meter", b=coefficients
log(length) appears as an offset, i.e., a covariate that has a known
coefficient of 1.

You could also use log(length) as an offset in a Cox model, for the same
logic.
  relative risk that a given pipe breaks = length * risk per meter
                                        = exp(Xb + log(length))

You need to decide if such a model is scientifically defensible, e.g.,
if this involved flexing I would expect breakage to go up faster than
linear.

Notes: offset has always been a part of coxph and survreg, time to
improve the documentation I guess
   I forgot to include the context in my first reply.

Terry T.