[R] How does one start R within Emacs/ESS with root privileges?

Karl Brand k.brand at erasmusmc.nl
Wed Sep 7 10:54:09 CEST 2011

Esteemed UseRs and DevelopeRs,

Apologies if this question belongs else where, but it does concern R's
package installation/maintenance.

How does one start R within Emacs/ESS with root privileges?

I tried without success:

 > M-x sudo R

Why i'm motivated to do so:

It seems logical to me, as the only user of the PC, to keep my R library
consolidated in the universal library rather than splitting into
universal and user libraries. Hence the desire to run R as root.

In addition, it's nice to be able to install packages 'on the fly' when
and as needed and not need to launch a separate R session (as root) in
the terminal just to install a package.

Migrating from windows, i'm completey new to linux (ubuntu) and am
seeing for myself if Emacs/ESS is as good as its purported to be. So
maybe my motivation is nonsensical to expereinced ESS/R users. If so i'd
really appreciate tips on efficient package installation/maintenance
using Emacs/ESS.

TIA,

karl

--