[R] how to create data.frames from vectors with duplicates

Dennis Murphy djmuser at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 03:55:18 CEST 2011

Hi:

Here are a few informal timings on my machine with the following
example. The data.table package is worth investigating, particularly
in problems where its advantages can scale with size.

library(data.table)
dt <- data.table(x = sample(1:50, 1000000, replace = TRUE),
                  y = sample(letters[1:26], 1000000, replace = TRUE),
                  key = 'y')
system.time(dt[, list(count = sum(x)), by = 'y'])
   user  system elapsed
   0.02    0.00    0.02

# Data tables are also data frames, so we can use them as such:

system.time(with(dt, tapply(x, y, sum)))
   user  system elapsed
   0.39    0.00    0.39
system.time(with(dt, rowsum(x, y)))
   user  system elapsed
   0.04    0.00    0.03
system.time(aggregate(x ~ y, data = dt, FUN = sum))
   user  system elapsed
   1.87    0.00    1.87

So rowsum() is good, but data.table is a little better for this task.
Increasing the size of the problem is to the advantage of both
data.table and rowsum(), but tapply() takes a fair bit longer,
relatively speaking (appx. 10x rowsum() in the first example, 20x in
the second example). The ratios of rowsum() to data.table are about
the same (appx. 2x).

# 10M observations, 1000 groups
> dt <- data.table(x = sample(1:100, 10000000, replace = TRUE),
+                  y = sample(1:1000, 10000000, replace = TRUE),
+                  key = 'y')
> system.time(dt[, list(count = sum(x)), by = 'y'])
   user  system elapsed
   0.16    0.03    0.18
> system.time(with(dt, rowsum(x, y)))
   user  system elapsed
   0.36    0.04    0.40
> system.time(with(dt, tapply(x, y, sum)))
   user  system elapsed
   8.77    0.33    9.11

HTH,
Dennis