[R] rgl: axis/viewport/box problems in persp3d()

Marius Hofert m_hofert at web.de
Fri Sep 9 14:02:29 CEST 2011

Dear Duncan,

thanks for your quick response.
Below is my second trial. I had to use mtext3d to place the label for the z-axis
at the new axis where the ticks are drawn (if there's a simpler solution, please
let me know). Was the usage of rgl.viewpoint meant this way? It is nice to
adjust the rotation of the plotted object by hand but then I want to make sure
the subsequent plot(s) have precisely the same rotation.

Okay, great.

One more thing I am wondering is: I tried to pass through arguments like
marklen or expand to rgl.bbox/bbox3d. Is anything like this possible? I would like
to change the length of the axis ticks.

Cheers & many thanks,

Marius

PS: I read somewhere that plotmath-expressions are not available in rgl. Is there
an update on this? I know it may be very difficult to implement this, I'm just
wondering if there is an update/workaround on this (?)

require(rgl)
s <- seq(0, 1, length.out=21)
M <- function(u) apply(u, 1, min)
u <- s
v <- s
z <- outer(u, v, function(u,v) M(cbind(u,v)))
persp3d(u, v, z, aspect="iso", front="line", lit=FALSE, axes=FALSE, xlab="",
        ylab="", zlab="")
axes3d(edges=c('x--','y--','z+-')) # label the right axes
title3d(xlab="x", ylab="y", zlab="") # put in axes labels [z is wrong]
mtext3d("z", edge='z+-', line=2) # put in z-axis label by hand
par3d(windowRect=c(0,0,480,480), zoom=1.2) # use zoom to get everything on the viewport; then adjust rotation by hand
pl <- par3d(c("userMatrix", "zoom", "FOV")) # record for use in other plots
rgl.postscript("myplot.pdf", fmt="pdf") # print to file
rgl.viewpoint(zoom=pl$zoom, fov=pl$FOV, userMatrix=pl$userMatrix, interactive=FALSE) # set the viewpoint for the next plot to make sure it looks the same