[R] Subset function

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Sep 9 16:50:11 CEST 2011

I thought that the main advantage of subset() over [()
is that you only mention the name of the data.frame once,
in the first argument, not in the second:
  > x <- data.frame(xin=c(1, 8, 16, 1, 8, 16), xout=c(14, 5, 884, 14, 5, 884))
  > subset(x, xin > 7, select = xout) # not x$xin > 7
    xout
  2    5
  3  884
  5    5
  6  884

A secondary advantage of subset is that treats NA's in
the subset= argument the same as FALSE's.

I think subset is handy for one-off usage, but in general
purpose functions the [ function is better: it uses standard
argument evaluation and is faster.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com