[R] Very simple question about list components

Clemontina Alexander ckalexa2 at ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 9 17:14:04 CEST 2011

Thank you all. And thanks for pointing out I have an lm object, not a list.

@ Steve, I knew I wasn't crazy when I saw him type "ans$" in the
prompt. I didn't see him hit <tab> though. So a special thanks to you
for helping me validate my sanity! :-)

Tina

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Steve Lianoglou
<mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Clemontina,
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Clemontina Alexander <ckalexa2 at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>> I have a list 'ans' from the following code:
>>
>> tt <- rnorm(50)
>> rr <- rnorm(50)
>> ans <- lm(rr~tt)
>>
>> ans[1] is "$coefficients", ans[2] is "$residuals", ans[3] is
>> "$effects", ... and so on up to ans[12]. Is there an easy way to
>> display just these names and not the data they contain?
>
> In this case, you can simply do:
>
> R> names(ans)
>  [1] "coefficients"  "residuals"     "effects"       "rank"
>  [5] "fitted.values" "assign"        "qr"            "df.residual"
>  [9] "xlevels"       "call"          "terms"         "model"
>
>> saw my advisor type "ans$" and they were displayed, but when I tried
>> it, it just goes to the next line waiting for input like this:
>>
>>> ans$
>
> If you are in the R prompt and you hit <tab> twice after `ans$`, it
> should show you the names of the elements in the `ans` list. If you
> use Rstudio[1], the doube <tab> hit will give you a handy dropdown
> menu list you can choose from.
>
> HTH,
> -steve
>
> [1] For what it's worth, I'm not sure how far along in your R-learning
> you are, but if I were starting out learning R today, I might pick
> Rstudio as my IDE/interface of choice.
>
> --
> Steve Lianoglou
>  | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
>  | Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Clemontina Alexander
Ph.D Student
Department of Statistics
NC State University