[R] Emacs ESS finding all versions of R

Alex Olssen alex.olssen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 22:23:59 CEST 2011

Dear R-help,

Apologies if this isn't exactly the right place for this question.

I am trying to run R in emacs using ESS.  I have done this
successfully many times - it works right now on my home computer in
windows 7 and in ubuntu.

The problem is that when I start emacs the regular splash screen
doesn't show.  In the mini-buffer I get the message "Finding all
versions of R on your system".  And then emacs just freezes up.

I am running windows xp.

emacs is located at
C:\Program Files\emacs-23.3\bin\emacs

I have an ess-5.14 folder at
C:\Program Files\emacs-23.3\site-lisp\ess-5.14

R is located at
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.13.1\bin\R
or
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.13.1\bin\i386\Rterm
?

In my ~/.emacs file I have tried included only the following lines
(require 'ess-site)
and
(require 'ess-site)
(setq inferior-R-program-name "C:\\Program Files\\R\\R-2.13\\bin\\R")
as well as many variations on the R path, including \, /, and going to
Rterm instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex Olssen