[R] Multiple regression intercept

burdy burdyyy at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:08:32 CEST 2011

Hi I am having difficulty interpretive the multiple regression output. I
would like to know what it means when one of the factors is assigned as the
intercept?

In my data I am looking at the relationship between environmental parameters
and biological production.

One of my variables in the analysis is substratum type and gravel is
identified as the intercept and the P-value is significant,...
Does this mean that I can talk about the relationship which it has with
production as being significant or because it is the intercept can I not use
it because it has been selected and used as the basis for the relationships
between the other factors in the variable substratum?

No one in the PhD office can answer this

I look forward to any replies

Thanks

Matt