[R] using vif from package "car" - "aliased coefficients in the model"

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Sep 13 16:53:29 CEST 2011

Dear Dimitri,

That's curious, since vif.lm() tests for aliased coefficients via
any(is.na(coef(mod))). Are you sure that there are no NAs among the printed
coefficients? If there are perfect collinearities, lm() will arbitrarily
remove some regressors from the model, and the resulting VIFs would be
misleading, since the correct answer is that at least one VIF is infinite.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster