[R] Can 'mosaic' be used with a continuous variable?

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Thu Sep 15 15:04:42 CEST 2011

Hi Mauricio

On 9/14/2011 2:10 PM, Mauricio Cornejo wrote:
> Thanks Z.
>
> Let me clarify my problem a bit further ... as I don't think I could use cut() or spine() to solve it.
>
> I have a data frame with three columns (A, B, Value).  'A' and 'B' are categorical and 'Value' is continuous and non-negative.  I'm looking to make a mosaic plot with A on one axis and B on the other.  The size (i.e. area) of the tiles would correspond to the proportion of the total Value represented by the given combinations of the levels of A and B.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mauricio

I think what you are looking for is called a TreeMap -- a plot of a
single continuous variable broken down by two or more categorical
variables (which need not be crossed, as in a contingency table).
Typically, the Value is shown as the size (area) of the tile for each
leaf of the tree.

See:
http://flowingdata.com/2010/02/11/an-easy-way-to-make-a-treemap/

for some simple examples in R

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.