[R] Nonlinear regression question

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Sep 15 19:12:28 CEST 2011

What null hypothesis are you trying to test?  There is a standard null for linear models that makes sense in a large number of cases, but what the null is for non-linear regression is not obvious (and the coefficient = 0 may not even be possibly, let alone interesting).  If you can state what your null hypothesis is then there are ways to get p-values, but easier is to just compute confidence intervals for the parameter of interest and see if the null value is in the interval.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org