[R] cumVar and cumSkew

Albyn Jones jones at reed.edu
Fri Sep 16 00:56:34 CEST 2011

Wow, this takes me back a ways :-)

As I recall, BMDP used updating algorithms to compute sample means,
variances, and covariances in one pass through the dataset.

You need the updating algorithm for means:

  \bar{X}_{n} =  \frac{n-1}{n}\bar{X}_{n-1}+\frac{X_n}{n}

You can work out the algorithm for variances using the same idea,
or consult:

   Algorithms for Computing the Sample Variance:
   Analysis and Recommendations Algorithms for Computing the Sample Variance:
   Tony F. Chan, Gene H. Golub, Randall J. LeVeque
   The American Statistician, Vol. 37, No. 3 (Aug., 1983), pp. 242-247

I think the updating and other algorithms are described therein.

albyn