[R] Referring to an object by a variable containing its name: 6 failures

Timothy Bates timothy.c.bates at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 16:09:23 CEST 2011

rmailbox at justemail.net said
> What am I missing about your inquiry: It seems like x[ , colName ] should work:

I think what is being asked is to treat the value of a variable not as a string (which work fine in your example), but as a variable name

In php you’d use $$ to dereference by name

$whatIwant = 2
$nomdeplume = "whatIwant"
$$nomdeplume
2

I’ve not come across this functionality in R: would be great if it exists