[R] Boxplots from 4 dimensional array

Tarmo Remmel remmelt at yorku.ca
Tue Sep 20 16:51:45 CEST 2011

Hello list members,

I am working with simulated data for landscape pattern analysis.  I have
1000 replicates of binary (2 colour) gridded landscapes at each combination
of 9 levels of class proportion and 11 levels of spatial autocorrelation.
The results are stored in an array as follows:

> dim(surfaces)
[1]   38    9   11 1000

The dimensions are defined as follows:
[x,,,] 1:38, integers that identify a measurement type (landscape pattern
metrics)
[,x,,] 1:9, integers that identify levels of class proportion
[,,x,] 1:11, integers that identify levels of spatial autocorrelation
[,,,x] floating point values for the specific landscape metric

I would like a simple way to produce boxplots of the 1000 metric values for
a specific landscape metric and level of spatial autocorrelation across the
9 levels of proportion.  Thus, I want to fix the first dimension (say as 10)
and fix the third dimension (say as 1), and then use the second dimension as
factors (1:9) to produce boxplots of the values in the 4th dimension.  Is
there a simple way to do this?

I have been playing with boxplot() and apply() but am getting some
dimensions mixed up and thought that this would be a good time to seek some
help.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tarmo

Tarmo K Remmel PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Geography
York University, N413A Ross Building
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3
Tel: 416-736-2100 x22496, Fax: 416-736-5988
Skype: tarmoremmel