[R] Install Location on Linux Red Hat

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Sep 21 00:21:01 CEST 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Darrel Barbato wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having some difficulty installing R on our server which is running
> RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 5.2. I'm using RPM (Red Hat Package
> Manager) and by default it installs R in /usr/bin. Unfortunately due
> to a very small partition size, I have run out of space in this
> directory. I was hoping to install R in another location such as
> /data. I'm wondering if anyone else has run across this issue and
> knows of anyway around it.
> Thanks.
> Darrel

Typically, the RPMs for RHEL/CentOS and Fedora are not relocatable and will only install to the default location.

Thus, you will likely need to compile R from source in order to install elsewhere. You should review the R Installation and Administration manual, available online:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html

If you require further technical assistance, you should subscribe and post to the R-SIG-Fedora list: