[R] Limitations of audio processing in R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Sep 22 10:30:19 CEST 2011

Or if people want to do it the R way:

Use the tuneR package and its readWave function that supports reading
parts of Wave files if the whole file is not relevant. You can specify
it in many units, see its help page. tuneR has also the tools to cut,
merge etc. Wave files and analyse it with basic tools.

If you want to deal with the whole thing in R: In CD quality this is
roughly 2GB: 3 hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds x 44100 samples x 2
channels x 2 bytes and you need at least 6 GB to do sensible things with it.

Best,
Uwe Ligges