[R] Re-installing R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Sep 22 16:24:50 CEST 2011

On 22.09.2011 14:47, Andrey A wrote:
> Dear R users
> How does one completely uninstall R from their machine? Going to control
> panel>programs does not do it for me. After installing the new version it
> will still remember my previous workspace and all packages I've installed.

This seems to be Windows?

remove.packages() removes packages. You found the way to uninstall the
part that got installed, The uninstaller won't install stuff you
installed independently (such as packages, additional config files). The
workspace is just a file called ".RData" in your working directory.
Since it is user data, the user has to delete it himself.
If you uninstall MS Word, it also won't remove all your .doc / .docx
files - at least I hope so.

Uwe Ligges